Saturday, September 1, 2018

Trash - My fixation!

All of us have our own fixations. For some it is welfare of stray dogs, for some
it is fitness, for some, potholes. Similarly, it could be price of petrol, alternative
medicines, TV serials, Cricket, whatever. My father in law had two fixations.
They were auto fares and doctor’s fees. Any conversation you start with these
people, it never ends without touching up on their favourite topic. With me, it is
trash. I yearn for a trash free surrounding which I am sure I will never see and I
keep talking/writing about it.


I did have some hope when our PM gave a call for ‘Swachcha Bharat’. Probably
he thought that all he has to do is give a call and a few slogans and people would
do the rest. But he doesn’t know that my countrymen will not fall in line unless
there is a ‘danda’ around. Be it taxes, traffic or trash!


I was pleasantly surprised to read in the news papers that the Vasco civic body has
declared a plastic free ‘Saptah’ -  the annual jatra in vasco. And the yesterday’s
paper brought the reality home. I don’t think our politicians can eliminate trashy
plastics. Just think where you saw your budding politician first. It is in one of the
plastic or  flex banners - wishing you a happy festival, declaring a sports or social
event, wishing a well settled politician a happy birthday or a welcome banner for
some political deity visiting your city. That means it is through plastic banners and
flex cut outs that our politicians are born! How can they cut their umbilical chord?


This dependence on banners and cutouts only increases as they grow. Banners
and cutouts of our PM, the messiah of clean India is found in thousands in every
place he goes on a visit. But I have not heard of a strong order from him, to his
followers/partymen, to ban the banner!

Still, I can’t just keep watching. I felt very stupid about it but I gave a representation
to our panchayat and our city municipal council to make the annual public festivals
and jatras, Plastic free. I don’t think they would care but It is my fixation. Does not
follow logic or reality !!

No comments: