Saturday, August 1, 2009

Only a stray thought

Some of the news items irritate me. I need to express my irritation but not many are interested in them. Hence, I post my thoughts here, get them out of my mind and try to be peaceful. No credence need to be attached to my views.
One such news item was regarding the losses suffered by Air India and the government trying to do something about it. I just cannot understand why the government should do anything about it. If Air India is not making enough money, either it needs to reduce spending or increase air fares to get more income. If not, shut down the company. Why should the government feel compelled to run a loss making, high flying concern?
After Air India, the other private airlines have started demanding “bail out”. All are co called ‘professionally’ managed companies dealing with thousands of crores of rupees. They ordered new planes, bought each other, paid unrealistic salaries and created a glamour profession. On the other hand they reduced airfares. Why can’t they increase the fare? Those who can afford to and have to travel at those prices, will. People like me who occasionally tried our luck with Makemy trip.com or Yatra.com will stick to our Jan shatabdis and Garib raths.
Belatedly, the airlines have realized that they cannot sustain and threaten stopping their services if the government does not bail them out. In other words, make up for the loss. Since it affects the so called high fliers and influential people, the government may listen and help them out too. But I don’t like my money being given to jet airways or kingfisher to subsidise Vijay mallya’s spending on ‘glamorous’ calenders.
If the cost of silver amalgam or lignocaine goes up, I have to increase my charges for fillings and extractions. If I cannot manage, I need to close my clinic. I can’t ask the government to ‘bail me out’. My reasoning does not go beyond that.
May be these big industries have a different profit -loss and management system. Or, the issue has other ramifications that I do not understand. Let me see the developments.

No comments: