Friday, November 6, 2009

Winter Strip Tease

Last year, winter went away without entering Goa. After the rains, it was summer and summer. There may be a winter this year. The hill sides near my house are covered with mist, indicating that winter is on its way.





The weather changes overnight. I noticed the change two days back. The morning was suddenly chilly. I hesitated before stepping out for my walk, dressed in shorts and T shirt. I felt like wearing my jacket and cap but had no idea where I had kept them. I made a noiseless search of the probable places but no luck. I had to try the metal cupboard in the bedroom. However gentle I try to be, the latch does make a noise. My wife mumbled half awake “can’t you go for a walk without waking up the whole house?” I retreated quietly, forgot my walk and spent an hour doing yogic exercises and ‘kapalbhati’, taking care not to make too much noise while exhaling.

The next day, I was prepared. I had searched out my cap and jacket and had put them out in the sun to remove the mouldy smell. They felt fresh. I had even located my son’s riding gloves (it was in one of the shoe boxes) and cleaned it. I set out in the chill, covered well, looking like an Eskimo. I knew that I would be feeling uncomfortably warm after walking for some time, but did not have the will power to go into the chilly weather without covering myself.

As expected, I started feeling hot and uncomfortable after a brisk walk and removed the gloves. I walked a little more and my head felt sweaty and started itching inside the cap. I removed the cap. The jacket was out even before I had covered another fifty meters. Now I was burdened with a pair of gloves, a cap and a jacket in my hands apart from the inevitable bamboo stick which is my weapon against stray dogs.

I do not know why they (stray dogs) are hostile towards me. I never threw stones at them. (At least, not after I crossed twelve. The last stone I threw, must have been forty years back. And it did not hit the dog. None of my stones did. They only hit the neighbour’s flowerpots, scooters and children. There is no scope for animosity on that ground.) I notice the dog at a distance, sleeping under the street lamp. I see many walkers - frail ladies, tottering old men, fat people, moving with difficulty – none of them can run for their life and none of them armed - bravely walking past the dog as if it does not exist. I feel that there was no need for the stick. But, just as I pass in front of it (I do not like to wake it up and actually try to glide past) the dog comes alive and pounces on me barking madly. I start a sort of dance shouting and waving the stick frantically. (The stick, again, has never hit a dog. It is only a psychological weapon.) Once I start dancing and looking silly, the dog thinks that I am not worth fighting with, retreats, and goes back to sleep. Canine psychologists say that the dog feels threatened with my stick and so, attacks me. But I haven’t had the guts to experiment facing dogs without my stick. Anyway, that is apart from the winter story.

Now, walking with the bundle of cap, jacket, gloves and the stick in hand was cumbersome. But there was no other go. The weather was good and so, I ignored my load and moved on. The morning was so pleasant and I was feeling so energetic, I felt an urge to jog. Holding the cumbersome bundle and walking is OK, but you can’t jog with that luggage in your hands. It feels and looks awkward. I felt like throwing away the bundle but I would need it again next morning. So, I decided to keep it someplace by the road side and collect it on my way back. I do so, many times during winter walks. Sometimes I find a convenient rock by the side of the road and sometimes a willing branch of a small tree. That day, it was the tree. I hung my things on the branch and started jogging. I felt light and nice. I felt free. Atmosphere was cooI and exhilarating. There was no body within hearing distance and I even sang two songs as I jogged. After a while some thought got in to my mind and I lost myself in my thought and jogged along.

The blaring horn and the accusing hand of a tempo driver made me find myself once again and I noticed that I had gone farther than I intended. My son had given me strict instructions to wake him up exactly at 6.00. Giving ME strict instruction to wake HIM up. Right thing to do would have been to tick him off and tell him to set his mobile for a wakeup call or remain in bed till evening. But I can’t do that. I hurry up to wake him up on time. It is called ‘maaya’ (attachment). Wise people advise us to kick it out. I hope to, one day. But right then,I turned back and returned home running.

It was the same weather the following morning. I was eager to go out. Just as I started getting ready for the walk, I realized that I had left my jacket, cap and gloves hanging on the tree and the stick, resting on its trunk. I kicked myself for forgetting them and hurt my shin. I hoped nobody had noticed them. I had to get to the tree as early as possible and collect them. Assuming, that they were still there. Then it dawned on me that I will have to walk into the chill without my jacket and face the dog without my stick. I felt miserable. But I had to act. I braced myself up and got out. I hoped that the dog would not be there. I started running to keep myself warm but stopped the moment I saw the dog. Even with the stick in my hand I feel inadequate in front of that dog. I just could not risk facing it without the stick. I thought of returning home and taking my car. It was a shame but safe. I turned back and saw the frail lady and the old man coming at a distance. I waited by the road side, joined them and silently walked with them taking care to keep them between me and the dog. Shamefully but successfully I passed the hurdle. I thanked my protectors in my mind, went to the tree and was relieved and happy that my things were still hanging on the branch. I collected them and returned.



This strip tease on the road is a daily affair during winter. Usually I manage to carry my things with me, but once in a way they do remain by the road side. I do not want to lose my cap and jacket. Apart from being very useful, they have sentimental value. My brother-in-law had brought them from Germany twenty years back. I use them every winter and they have been with me on every journey that I have made. (Every train and bus in our country is built with at least one window that does not close properly and all booking clerks and computers have been instructed/programmed to allot the seat/ berth by the side of that window, to me. While all my co-passengers sleep and snore, I spend the night pulling the window closed as it keeps opening up again,on its own. My jacket and cap help reduce my distress.)

My wife suggests that I carry a shoulder bag on my walks to put my things in, but my children say that I will find the bag even more convenient and handy for hanging them on the branch! I do not know what to do. I believe Anil Ambani’s Mercedes follows him when he goes on his daily marathon run. Is it sensible to engage someone to follow me in my Maruti?

2 comments:

Ravi said...

Great one, Raghu. I don't think Goa is getting colder. It is that old complaint, anno domini, old bones, whatever you chose to call it. In addition to the jacket, monkey cap, you really need to buy a walking stick with a crook at the end (capable of pulling down flower laden branches so you can pinch them)to complete the picture of a elderly but fit gentleman nearing retirement.

Unknown said...

The posts are all hilarious....