Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bird in my living room (after snake in my backyard)

No. I had no intention of starting introduction of all birds, reptiles and insects living in my backyard/living room. It so happened that I got up a bit earlier than usual today and opened all the windows and the French doors leading to the balcony. This bulbul which had risen early too, probably in the hope of catching an early worm, and was searching for it in the vicinity of our house, mistook our living room light for a brighter morning and thought that there were better chances of locating the worm there. It did locate a worm but of the two legged variety, not edible and not worth socializing with. It decided that the darker morning minus two legged worms was far better and wanted to return. But it could not locate the door through which it flew in and got scared. It started flying around frantically and my efforts to lead it to the door/window only scared it more and made matters worse. It was flying dangerously close to the fan and so I switched the fan off. The first sensible act. As the fan stopped rotating the bird calmed down and sat on the blade for a little rest. I had used the camera just a day before in my effort to capture the snake and so, it was within reach and was charged! I could not help the temptation and got a picture.



Within seconds the bird decided that it cannot spend all its life sitting on the fan blade and renewed the search for the exit. I switched on the balcony lights and tried to help the bird see the way but what was clearly visible to me was not visible to the bird. No surprise. Even my wife and children fail to see what is very clearly visible to me. After another frantic search, it selected the short wall next to the clock for a rest and probably felt better looking at its friends.



From there it flew straight to the French door and I thought that its troubles were over. But no. it missed the door by six inches and settled on the inlaid ‘ashtalakshmi’ plaque hanging just above the door.



I settled on the sofa and instead of trying to act, tried to think. It occurred to me (surprise) that if I switched the lights off the bird may be able to see the twilight outside and find its way. I performed the second sensible act of the morning and the bulbul flew out to be free again.
Lesson: Sensible acts get results.

1 comment:

DesertRose said...

he he :P funny...Glad the bird got out without getting hurt in-advertently.