Sunday, April 18, 2010

IPL and My trip to Mars

I heaved a sigh of relief as Sania Mirza and Shoaib Malik got married and vacated the front page. The vacant space was immediately occupied by Lalit Modi and Shashi Tharoor. I would have preferred Sania and Shoaib. As it is I had a biased opinion about IPL and the distaste is only increasing. In one of my earlier posts I had mentioned that IPL was no sport and I see many others expressing similar opinion. It is 10%cricket, 20%bollywood, 30%money and 40%more money. We are mad about cricket and bollywood. The combination multiplied the madness. Those who knew how to cash madness, did it. A politician is never far from money and they zoomed in. The garbage bin is being emptied for our pleasure on the front pages. If you like garbage as I do, swallow an anti emetic and follow it.

“Volcano in Iceland spews ash. Airspace blocked. Thousands of flights cancelled” would have received as much attention from me as “Hydrogen traces found on Mars. May lead to finding water”. As far as I am concerned, passengers in Frankfurt airport and hydrogen on Mars are almost same. But I had to read the news in detail this time. I am expected to pass through Frankfurt airport next month and happenings there are a concern. I never thought that I would go to mars in my life.

I do not know what made me decide to make a trip to the US. It costs a lot of time and money (both of which I could have utilized better) apart from the hassle of getting a VISA which I feel is as hyped as IPL. But the human mind is irrational and I possess one. There was no other option. So, the decision is made, VISA is approved and the tickets are booked. Bombay-Frankfurt-Detroit 27th may. Suddenly Frankfurt feels like Margao.

Apart from sponging out my sister in law’s resources I do not know what I will be doing there but if anyone in the US is keen on getting my signature on a print out of any of my posts, I am willing. You don’t know what will make me famous and when. One day you may be pleasantly surprised to read “Sotheby’s auction autographed blogpost print out for record price”. You will be a millionaire! I will stop before someone says “what rot!” and try to locate Detroit on Google map.

bye,

2 comments:

DesertRose said...

Have a good trip, and have fun in Detroit !

Ravi said...

Glad to see you are stirring out of Ponda. Hope you will do us the favour of thinking of visiting UK sometime. About the volcano, unlike you, I haven't been able to maintain a detatched attitude. With my wife and son held back in India, I have had to tremble at the slightest change in the mood of the volcano.
Have a good trip! and promise all of us that you are going to keep (and post) a diary.