Friday, December 13, 2013

Supreme Court Verdict On Homosexuality


I am disappointed that the SC has reversed a Delhi HC ruling. ……..  Sonia Gandhi
It is disappointing that the SC has upheld the legality of Section 377. ……… Kapil Sibal
The judgment is extremely disappointing. It has taken us back to  1860.  ……….Chidambaram
I am Indian and I am a homosexual , I will continue to be proud of it.  ……….. some ‘celebrity’
The verdict is a loss to all Indians. It is something that we should all mourn. ……….. another ‘celebrity’

Now let me quote section 377.

Unnatural offences - whoever  voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature, with any man woman or animal, shall be punished with (imprisonment for life) or imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years and shall also be liable to a fine.

And the various dictionary meanings for ‘Unnatural’ are,

Unnatural :   In violation of natural law -  inconsistent with an individual pattern or custom -  deviating from a behavioral or social norm - different from how things are in the physical world or nature - different from what is normal in a way that is seen as wrong, disturbing etc.

Now, what wrong has the Honourable Supreme Court done? As far as my knowledge goes the court is there to uphold the laws and rules (please don’t ask me the difference between them) and the codes and constitution etc etc. And that is what the Supreme Court has done. Kapil sibal says that he is disappointed that the supreme court has done its duty!

The media reserves three full pages or prime time for the issue because there is ‘Sex’ in ‘homosexuality’ and it catches the eyes. The politicians mouth their statements in support of homosexuality because the statements appear on the front page and they hope that it may help them gain the support of a section of individuals and their votes.  If the politicians are so concerned about the issue they should simply change the law. Then the courts would follow the new rules.

As far as the celebrities who are ‘proud’, I do not know. If it is ‘natural’ what is there to be ‘proud’ of? It is not an achievement. I also do not understand what has ‘love’ got to do with it and why should all of us mourn? Since I do not understand so many things, I should have kept my mouth shut. I did not. At least let 
me stop here.

Final sentence : As I have read somewhere, Homosexuality is in the genes and is not consciously acquired. Hence it may be ‘Unnatural’ according to the dictionary but ‘Natural’ to the person. There is no need to make such a big issue out of it. Quietly change the rules or acts or whatever, to prevent misuse and harassment.  That’s it. 

No comments: