Sunday, March 19, 2017

Borim Mountain Run 2017

Sidhdhanath Parvat - Borim Ponda is about 10 kms from my house. I have been living so close to that hill, supposed to be the second tallest in Goa, but had never climbed it.  I had made an attempt about twenty years back, along with my children who were about eight and twelve years then. There was a road till the base of the hill and from there you just had to find the path going to the top and climb up. The hill probably is laterite and there were stretches of loose soil and gravel. I had to watch my step and also ensure the safety of the children. To top it, I had selected a summer afternoon for the adventure! We went half way and gave up. I had been planning to go there again but never did.

So, when I heard of the 15 km Borim Mountain Run I was tempted and since I had recently completed a 10km run with out difficulty, decided to give it a try. From the starting point to the top of the hill is 7.5kms and based on my previous experience I thought that I should be able at least to walk to the top of the hill and come down. Then I could always call some one and request for a pick up.

The route was very pleasant but tough. The first three kilometers were supposed to be level ground but I only found some small stretches of level road in the undulating terrain. Fourth onwards it is a steep climb. But as it happened I took exactly an hour to reach the top and returned in fifty five minutes. So, I put up a post to pat my own back and give an opportunity for others to do the same!

One of the easy stretches. Clean and pleasant countryside. 

Halfway mark. So far so good.

A small stretch of about 300 meters was bad

People come from afar to punish their legs - what fun!


I did reach the top and it was a great feeling. 

Blowing my trumpet

With of our group members. 

Another very nice stretch

No comments: