Thursday, April 5, 2018

Cairo - Giza - Pyramids and Museum.


The road from Alexandria to Cairo is supposed to be the best stretch in Egypt but we covered the distance after dark and could only feel the smoothness of the road. I wasn't able to see anything other than the burning outlets of natural gas. When we entered Cairo from Alexandria it was nearing ten at night. Cairo is supposed to be the 15th largest city in the world and along with its suburbs has a population of about 15 million. Our hotel was at the other end of the city and it took us about 45 minutes to traverse through. Though the traffic was heavy we hardly spent anytime at traffic signals and the flow was smooth. 

I had a better look at the city in the morning. While the areas housing the important establishments like the military academy, consulates and major government offices appeared spread out, well planned and maintained, the interiors of the city were narrow, congested and dusty.  Cars, trucks, and horse/camel carts vied for space. But traffic discipline seemed to be much better than what I see in my country. Most of the buildings were multi storey residential buildings constructed with bricks, but I could not understand why none of them were finished with cement plaster or paint!



The Giza area where the great pyramids are located seemed to have been handed over to self proclaimed tourist guides and touts. With these people trying to serve their own interest, and misguiding people, it wasn't easy getting through. We had to ask for directions at half a dozen places before we could reach one of the seven wonders of the world!


I was expecting the Pyramids, with the status that they enjoy in world history, to be treated with due respect and regards. But no. Once you buy your ticket and enter through the gate after the cursory security check, it is a free for all. I was appalled to see hundreds of people climbing on the outer surface of the pyramids over the crumbling and disintegrating stone blocks. There was no one in authority to guide or control people and their activities. We had bought tickets to go inside the pyramid but I was in half a mind. Entry is allowed into only one of Pyramids, the four thousand year old Pyramid of king Khufu, the biggest amongst the existing pyramids in Giza. It is the one at the extreme left in the above picture. My wife was firm about her intention to see the interior of the Pyramid and  since I could not let her go alone, I had to follow. 


You enter and pass through a narrow but tall passage for about fifty feet and the going, though steep, seems easy.


Soon after the passage becomes a tunnel of about 3*3 and you have to crouch and move ahead. This passage as another fifty feet in length but when packed with people in front of you and behind you it could get very stuffy and claustrophobic. ( the above picture is from the net. usually you wont find it like this) After covering about half the length, my wife, who was very firm about seeing the interior of the Pyramid had second thoughts but it was too late. So, we decided to move ahead and after some uncomfortable time reached the chamber which housed the tomb. 


Except for the empty tomb (and lots of positive energy - as they claim) there is nothing in the chamber. The mummy and other artefacts have been moved to the museum in Cairo. 



The Sphinx - the biggest existing in Egypt- about which nothing is known for sure. It is supposed to be protecting the Pyramids seen in the back ground. It might have done its job protecting the pyramids from evil spirits. But how effectively is it going to protect them from civilisation is to be seen! It sits by the side of the road as you exit from the pyramids enclosure and one may even miss it amongst other broken structures if not pointed out!

I think my narration is getting monotonous and I have difficulty moving the pictures where I want them to be. I will just finish with captions for the pictures in the random order in which they have been uploaded to the blog.


The above instruments are the four thousand year old dental instruments exhibited at the Egyptian Museum Cairo. I sent the pictures to my classmates group and got the response "Oh, they are the ones we had in our college!"

The Al Hussaini Mosque near Khan Khallili market Cairo. 


The interior of the mosque. I understand people come from distant cities both in and out of Egypt, to visit this sacred place where the head of Hussain, the son of Prophet Mohammad is believed to have been buried. Some were praying silently, some aloud, some were singing while some just sat or slept. I had a very similar feeling to what I would experience looking at the different ways of worship the devout perform in our temples. Incidentally this was the first time I entered a mosque!


The Zarih - An ornate lattice structure which encloses a grave - inside the mosque.


The oldest coffee shop 'El Feshawi'  stablished 1797 - inside the Khan Khallili Market


The Mosque and the market after it is dark.


Stone blocks - varying from 2 to 18 tons - used to build the pyramids.


View of Cairo from the River Nile. We went on a cruise on the river which reminded me of the cruise on the Mandovi in Panaji- Goa. As good or as bad - based on your taste, but nothing great.


The court yard of the Egyptian Museum at Thrir Square, Cairo.


The Containers used to store the internal organs removed from the mummified bodies.


A section of the Ground floor viewed from above.


Instruments used to take out the internal organs from the mummified bodies. 

There are one lakh and twenty thousand exhibits in the museum. I am overwhelmed by the fact that almost all of them are  2000+ in age! And many of them have actually been used!  It will be foolish on my part to attempt to write more  about them. I only posted some pictures which I felt like, for no particular reason.

I think I should not test your patience further and hence end here. 

No comments: