Saturday, November 29, 2008

terror in Mumbai - stray thoughts

As I type this post, the latest episode of terror in Mumbai appears to be over. Just as most other citizens of our country, I too felt sad, frustrated and helpless. I also felt guilty watching the happenings from the comfort of our drawing room with out missing my food or sleep and alternatively tuning into NDTV and my favourite serial.

I am usually cynical about the media coverage of events, but this time I felt that most of the anchors were really feeling what they were talking and I was glad that there were no commercial breaks.

There was lot of talk and suggestions about all political parties and leaders coming together to find a solution but I agree with Pranoy roy’s statement. He said that when the PM and Mr. Advani, both of whom had decided to travel together to Mumbai could not even co ordinate their travel plans and had to travel separately, what unity can we expect?

I appreciate the person who thought of a SMS “where is Raj Thackeray and his brave sena? tell him that 200 NSG commandos, (all south and north Indians) have been sent to Mumbai to fight the terrorists so that he can sleep peacefully in shivaji park”

I look at the NSGs with great respect and have lot of regards towards them. If there is a minor bundh call by a stray group of people, we try to remain indoors lest we may be hurt. These great men know that they should consider themselves lucky if they are back with only a few organs missing, and get into action bravely. What are the emotions of their family? What do these men feel when they wave at or kiss the infant as they go out? I never forget to tell my son to send me a SMS as soon as he reaches college, if he is going on the bike. I feel so small and silly.

I saw a shot of the smart young commandos seated in their bus, after the encounter at the Taj was almost over. There they were, calm and quiet. No euphoria, no smiles and no victory signs. ‘Karmanyeva adhikaaraste naa phaleshu kadaachana” they had done their job, not bothered about the results and now were sitting like “sthitapragnyas” with out showing any emotions. True karmayogis, following the teachings of Bhagavdgita. I fold my hands.

No comments: