Sunday, May 17, 2009

too little and too much

I had nothing to do this evening. I spent some time clearing the unwanted growth in the garden, watered the plants, spent some time teasing the chameleon which was on the rose bush, trimmed some branches which were obstructing the path way, and still it was six thirty. Summer evenings are the worst time indoors. It was cloudy and the humidity had increased. It was better outside. There was a cool breeze. So, I just set out hoping to find some other soul with whom I could while away time, with idle chat.
I was not disappointed. First I met Mr. Dias. He was standing in his compound leaning on to the coconut tree in half pants and banian, with the banian pulled up from the stomach and bundled around the chest exposing the stomach to the breeze. ( typical summer sight in Goa). His son Nevil, has appeared for the 10th standard exam this year. I casually enquired about Nevil's performance in the exams.
" what to say doctor, I do not know how to deal with this fellow. He is not at all interested in his studies. I should be happy if he just scrapes through. If I say anything about it, he says that he will discontinue his studies and sit in the shop. How can anyone survive on this shop these days. I somehow managed. God's blessings were with me. You please advice him. May be he will listen to you. He is just fifteen years and says he has studied enough."
I sympathised with Mr Dias, Told him that it is the teenage attitude, assured him that the boy will change for the better, changed the topic to electiom results and rain, spent few more minutes and continued my walk.
I met Mr. Rao coming from the opposite direction. He is a senior officer in the mining industry. They are usually not visible. They leave when it is still dark and return only after it is dark. His son Vijay has finished his Phd and is in the UK on a fellowship. I enquired about Vijay.
" What to say doctor, he has become mad with his studies. After his graduation he wanted to do Msc, and I said Ok. I was happy that he was doing well in his studies. Then he wanted to study further. He registered for Phd and it took five years. He got his Phd. Now this three years fellow ship. He is thirty years now. He wants to apply for another fellow ship. When is he going to settle down? Is there no end to studies? He does not listen to me or his mother. He is coming on vacation next month. You please advice him to stop his studies, get a job and get married. He has lot of regards towards you. May be he will listen to you".

2 comments:

Sushma U N said...

:)) :))

Brinda said...

:):):):)

ninna kaiguNada jote baaiguNanoo ashTu effective aagde antha gottirlilla.! happy to know that :)