Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Time to give up?

I have been living with grey hairs right from my twenties. In the absence of any resistance from me by way of plucking them out (which would have made my head empty on the out side too), or colouring them black, they had the run of my head and facilitated my acquiring the status of 'ajja' by the time I was forty. But I did not feel aged and remained young in thoughts and action, like, for example, jumping into or out of a moving bus with ease. Even though my fellow passengers admonished me saying "such tricks are not for you old man, don't attempt to break your back and trouble others at home", I continued to feel and act young.


Five years later I was still feeling young even though wrinkles appeared on my face and my back started bothering me often, and when we felt the need for a second two wheeler, I decided to buy a Hero Honda kick start instead of a TVS Scooty self start and demonstrate my 'youth'. I had confidence in my riding skills and limbs. I wore sneakers, shorts and bright coloured T shirts and went jogging and running. Not walking. I did not feel aged. I happened to be jogging one morning when a contingent of army trainees in battle gear passed me. Inspite of their heavy gear they managed to keep a good pace but one of them was feeling it difficult. I ran alongside and tried to keep up with their pace and demonstrate my youthful capabilities. The seargent, running with the recruit who was lagging behind, pointed at me and coaxed him "dekh beta, itna buddha admi bhag raha hai our tumse nahi hoga kya?"
Now, I started getting doubts.


It is another five years and I am in my fifties. Knee joints make their presence felt when I climb and it is difficult to beleive that my eyes are present, when I drive at night. There are bags below the eyes and and I have started trimming my mustache very short so that I do not look like the 'betal' in 'Vikram aur Betal' with my long grey mustache. Kickstarting my Hero Honda is difficult but I feel some of my youth is still with me and some more years of riding is still there. I decided to buy a lighter two wheeler with self start and side stand and was looking at one in front of the show room when one of my acquaintances who was passing by hailed me. He is around seventy. "Hello doctor, thinking of buying a new vehicle?" he came closer to enquire "Do you think it is WISE to buy a two wheeler at YOUR AGE?"


I assured him that I am still young and can ride a scooter and went to the bank to confirm the availability of a loan. These bank managers are very optimistic and never give up. I go there asking for a loan and he tries to get a deposit from me! " New interest rates are very attractive doctor, and as a SENIOR CITIZEN, you are eligible for half a percent more!".


TIME TO GIVE UP?

2 comments:

Ravi said...

No! it is never time to give up. Keep going. Next they might start saying that blogging is not for an aged man like you.

A. Knight said...

The grey hair puts you in great company Uncle... Richard Gere, George Clooney!!! :))

it's not old...it's VINTAGE!