Monday, September 7, 2009

A Ganesha as my fee.


Do you like this Ganapati wall plate? If yes, would you like to have it? No. It is not for sale and i am not trying to develop a side business, selling things. I will be giving it free of cost and will bear the postage too. To put it straight, I am just trying to get rid of this wall plate. No ill will or hard feelings between me and the lord of intelligence. It is not the lord’s fault that he happens to be a favourite of makers of artefacts and it is not my fault trying to get rid of unwanted artefacts. it is just that.

Wondering of what use could it be? You may use the plate for real godly purposes like lighting an incense stick in front of it and offering prayers, or for displaying it in the living room to show that you are god-fearing and also benefit from it’s ‘positive’ or ‘satvik’ vibrations. You may nail it on the wall of your bedroom and look at it the first thing in the morning, so on and so forth.
If you do not have inclinations towards divinity, you may use it for the more earthly purposes like giving it as your contribution to your child’s school ‘bazaar day’(where the teacher is pestering your child to bring something and you don’t intend giving anything), or as a gift for birthday, wedding, house warming or any such occasion (where you don’t really feel like giving a gift but are forced to, because of social obligations) and if you do not find any other use, you may use it in lieu of fees to any doctor friend who does not charge you but you feel obliged to pay. The options are many.

This is the fourth Ganapati artefact that I have received as payment for my treatment. Apart from these, I have two ‘Geetopadeshas’ , (I need not explain what ‘Geetopadesha’ is . You know it is Krishna-Arjuna-four horses and a chariot. Anjaneya on top for additional effect) one clock having a border and numbers made of shells and another clock placed between the beaks of two bright coloured birds (no batteries in them, I mean in the clocks, but I will put a ‘eveready heavy duty’- free), two pen stands containing pens that do not write (I will replace the refills for you), two glass vases (which cannot hold any flowers but are ‘showpieces’ in their own right) , one boat made of something like match sticks (please remember it is not meant to go in water),two table calendars (validity fifty years)and four books on Sri Saibaba. Proof enough that the last option I have mentioned in the third paragraph is very much in vogue.

I have given you a choice. If you want to look at the other objects, I don’t mind sending photographs. Please let me know your selection and it will reach you within a week. None of the objects have any inscriptions stating who gave them to whom and when. All those who have handled them have been very considerate. This is a once in a life time offer and will not be repeated under any circumstances. In fact after listing the possibilities of usage, I am tempted to keep everything for myself. But I have made an offer and I will stick to it. Mine is a gentleman’s(?!) word and not an election manifesto. Incidentally we have four marriages coming on and I can find use for some of these if I do not find “no presents or bouquets please” or “your blessings are our presents” in the cards. My wife insists that those words are meant to remind us about the presents, but I disagree. She is gifted with an ability to read what is not written and hear what is not spoken. My limited intelligence makes me stick to what is written and spoken. I am dwelling up on the objects and their utility and am straying from what I started with. Let me say what I actually had in mind.

My left thumb and the right middle finger, both have hardened and knotted skin at the sides and feel like plastic rope. It is because of the continuous friction with the handle of the mouth mirror held in the left hand and the dental drill which is held in the right hand. Apart from the skin irritation, my profession has also given me a perpetually sore back and neck. I punish my body so that I can nurture it (an irony) and to be able to do that I expect to be paid for my pains(literally) if not for my service.
I should say that most of my patients pay without a grudge or grumble. But there are a good number who make me work hard not only to fill their teeth but also to make them fill my pocket. The hardening skin on the tip of my right forefinger (which I have not mentioned above) is because of my efforts in ringing them again and again and requesting payment.

Even though I like to get paid for my efforts, there are certain cases where I am happy to offer my services free. As in the case of close relatives, friends and colleagues and such others. A majority of them accept the services and express their feelings with a simple smile, few words of gratitude or a heartfelt ‘thanks’. That is all that is expected. Few of them send some eatables or fruits which serve the above mentioned objective (of nurturing the body) and is OK. But there are some who cannot accept free treatment, do not insist on paying full charges and cannot just keep quiet. The personal relation is neither this way nor that way. They would like to make a token payment some way or the other and end up paying me with “Ganesha”, “Krishna” or a clock (incidentally costing much less than my usual fees), that I can neither keep nor throw out. After the gift is handed over they are free in mind and I am put in trouble. I wish I can recognize these cases and charge them well. Better have hard cash than hard feelings.

Now, any takers for my offer?

No comments: