Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chapati - Sabzi

I did start writing something in what I felt was the proper way and also planned to include some pictures in it. Now I realize that while it is easy to pile up the pictures, it is not easy to prepare the words. In other words, I intend preparing stuffed ‘paranthas’ and while the stuffing is ready the dough is not. I have a feeling that while I wait for the dough, the stuffing may get spoilt. So, I decided to give up preparing ‘paranthas’ and stick to the easier ‘chapati – sabzi’ and even there, serve the ‘sabzi’ first and ‘chapati’ later. I am hoping that my friends have a big heart and a hungry stomach and so, will accept whatever is served. here it is.



After I typed the last post at the ungodly hour of 1.30 AM, I made few more unsuccessful attempts at going to sleep. After further disturbing my wife by getting in and out of the bed every half an hour and also disturbing the whole household by switching the lights on and off and opening and closing the refrigerator door (which feels like the locker room door in our Ponda bank and with as big interiors) I went out for a walk at 5 am and others went back to sleep in peace.

It was already getting bright and I had carried the camera in hand. First I got the picture of my neighbourhood for the next one and a half months.



After moving up and down the sidewalk and ensuring that I will not be arrested for going out walking, I walked along the main road. It is a walker’s paradise. But where are the walkers?



In my walk around the locality of about an hour the only other living thing that I saw on the sideway was this bird and a hare which bounded away before I could focus my camera.



It is a very pleasant neighbourhood. And I walked slowly and peacefully along. Enjoying the sight of this small laake.



Some years back, I had attended yoga classes in my effort to bring about some order into my yoga practice. At the end of every session the yoga master made us do the shavaasana. He would make us lie flat on the floor with our limbs stretched and urged us to relax the body and concentrate within ourselves. He suggested that we imagine ourselves in a serene and peaceful place like the bank of a gently flowing river or the top of a hill with gentle breeze, close down the sensory organs, keep the mind empty and reach a fully relaxed state. My ears always heard the roar of the truck passing next to the window or someone having trouble kick starting the scooter and the mind never went beyond the worry of the possibility of the yoga master delaying the session and the milk in the booth getting sold out. Also, I could never imagine a serene and peaceful place which my mind would accept as very pleasant. Now other things remain as they are but I can always imagine myself lying on the banks of this lake.




2 comments:

Ravi said...

Good one, Raghu. You must realise that America has no time for walkers. Any one who does not drive is usually relegated to the lowest level of life, along with that poor bird you tried to photograph. I was nearly run over a few times when I was in Canada - the general attitude being, if you are not in a car, you are not fit to live. Keep on blogging - if chapathi sabzi can be as good, I really look forward to bisibele bath, when it arrives.

Akshay said...

awesome pictures... locker door of our ponda bank... what a line...