Thursday, June 10, 2010

Impressions

It is two weeks since we arrived in Detroit. I am lagging behind in my reporting. I can blame the jet lag for the inaction during the first week but has nothing to cover up the second. I have moved around the suburb of Canton a fair bit, thought that I can easily find my way around and got lost yesterday. I will come to the details later, as and when my travelogue brings me to the point. This is not the way I intended proceeding with my reporting but can’t help it. I am clueless about the future path and whenever I attempt to proceed in certain direction some impressions that have formed in the mind come forward trying to gain attention and in the process clutter the thoughts. So, I will state them first with out bothering to think if they are right or wrong. If required I can correct myself later.

The city is beautiful and very pleasant to the eyes. Compact and comfortable looking houses with very well maintained gardens and well maintained lawns that stretch everywhere.



Big squirrels, brown hares, raccoons, ducks and a variety of other birds, make the picture prettier.None of them were obliging to wait a bit and pose. Roads are wide and clean and almost everywhere there are side paths for walking and cycling.
I like the absence of boundary walls and presence of well maintained lawns everywhere.



When he is outside the house, the American is either in his car or on his lawn mower.



When he/she does not have the steering wheel in his/her hand, he/she has to have a large (minimum 1 litre) glass of coke/pepsi, coffee/milk shake or at least water in hand. (had to focus on people to picture them and did not, for fear of offending them)

In general dogs seem to have better life than humans. this lady walks her Boston terrier in the drizzle, comfortable clothed (dog, that is) in colourful raincoat.



Policeman looks very smart and alert. (picture taken with permission. have no intention of getting first hand experience of an american prison too.)




Huge stores sell lot of unwanted stuff brought home in huge cars and stored in huge refrigerators to be dumped later in huge garbage bags and left out to be collected by huge garbage trucks.



Grow as large as you can and buy larger cars to accomadate yourself is the motto. (this is not one of the competitors but only an also ran)



Garages are for dumping stuff, arranging garage sales and parking cars . ( Mrs Cindy is very happy and considerate to pose for us during her garage sale) – in that order.




Now that this compulsion is out of my mind, I will try to think clearly and hope to bring out a proper narrative in the near future.

No comments: