Sunday, January 23, 2011

Swimming Fifteen lengths.

More than a year back I wrote about my efforts to improve my swimming. I had started swimming thirty years back and had remained a beginner all the thirty years. I knew just enough swimming to remain afloat for a few minutes with lot of effort. And my swimming looked like a tough struggle with some unseen creature present in water. I used to look with awe at people who moved gracefully in water as if the same unseen creature is pulling them gently on the surface of water without any effort on their part.

In the last one year I have improved a lot. I do not thrash around anymore. I swim. I have developed my own versions of free style, breast stroke and back stroke and I can keep swimming using a combination of all three. I can roll and flip and can swim many lengths without stopping for breath.

This morning I felt very light and energetic for no particular reason and went on swimming lengths and counting them. I managed to swim fifteen lengths with out break. That is three fourths of a kilometer. (It took nearly forty minutes and I have difficulty lifting my right hand now but it is a different matter.) When I came out of water I was feeling great. I looked around to see if anyone had noticed my feat. There were hardly few people in the pool. Not many are as foolish as me to get out at six on a winter morning and plunge into water. One or two learners at the shallow end were struggling for breath and were not interested in anything else. There were two life guards, one busy talking on his mobile and another huddling in a chair half asleep.

I was disappointed that nobody witnessed my achievement. I came home. My wife was in the kitchen.

You know what? I swam fifteen lengths today”
“Is it? That’s why you are late. I have been waiting for you. Forgot to keep milk in the fridge last night. It is spoilt. I haven’t had my coffee yet. See if any shop is open and get some milk.”

Very damp.

I went out. Luckily the milk booth was open. I purchased milk and returned home. My son was trying to open his eyes.

“You know what? I swam fifteen lengths today”
“Crazy. No one in his right sense would go and jump into water in this cold. Close that door. I am feeling cold.” he pulled the sheets over his head again.

My mother was awake, had had her bath and was probably half way through her “Vishnu Sahasranaama” prayer. I waited for her to finish and informed her of my feat.
“Swimming in a pool? Is it difficult? In our village people used to swim in the river. My brother used to swim across the river when it was in spate and he could even pull out cattle caught in the swirl. That is some swimming. Yesterday I told you that my blood pressure tablets were over. Did you buy them?”

I had to blow my trumpet somewhere. I have blown it here. Please bear.

1 comment:

Shruthi said...

COOOL!! FIFTEEN LENGTHS!! WELL DONE, RAGHU MAMA!!! HIGH FIVE!!!

:D