Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Margazi Music Festival - 2019

I am in Chennai and it is almost the end of Margazi Music Festival which
is held every year during December - January. Just a few stray concerts
are being held here and there, The news papers did not show up any
concerts worth visiting this morning. It was disappointing. 
I happened to be at Mylapore in the morning and had a few hours to
myself. I started  walking along the road in an aimless sort of way and
came across an old building which houses a library. Thought that I would
take a look, and entered the building. I found the library closed but could
hear some music on the first floor. Went up the stairs and was thrilled
and surprised to find a concert going on! Chennai was living upto my
imagination and its reputation !

Unfortunately it was a small affair, had begun much earlier and was
almost ending but it brightened up my day! I Sat there for the last
half an hour of the concert and then proceeded to the famous
Kapaaleeshwara temple which was not far away. I love the sight
of the large temple pond and intended to spend some time there.
Bad luck again, the pond is barricaded and locked. I could only see
the pond through the iron fencing. Temple precincts were crowded
with people who intended beginning their new year with a visit to
the lord. (looking at the way things are going in the world, I feel
that he is our only hope!)

As it happened, the day turned out to be better than expected.
I could attend two concerts and the canteen of a "Sabha"
(music lovers organisation) which is more famous for its lunch
than music !

Took pictures of anything that I fancied and posted them with captions.

Garland seller in front of Kapaaleeshwara temple. I was attracted by the colours!

Building looks abandoned but a concert is going on on the first floor. I went to check the library and heard the music! 

Dont know what it is. Something edible obviously - because someone bought a piece and ate it 

Smt Bhujanga Iyengar singing at Srinivasa Shatry Hall, Mylapore. A dozen people nodding their heads and I was the thirteenth. 

The temple pond of Kapaaleeshwara temple. 

Crowded Kapaaleeshwara temple. Offered my pranaams from outside. 

Flower seller cum custodian of your footwear. 

Took a selfie and saw an un recognisable face. Disturbed a young couple who were engrossed in taking pictures of each other and got this. 

You would recognise the items if you know your pickles ! 

Someone colourfully welcoming the new year  ! 

The Canteen at Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha. Lunch at Rs 700 per person. Four vegetables, Three currys, Two rice preperations, Four fried side dishes, Two sweets, Three chutney/pickles, Juice, Ice cream, and Ghee fried 'Beeda' !  Music at its best, Gluttony at its heights ! Picture shows connoisseurs of food. 

Connoisseurs of music at Parthasarathy sabha. (for comparison with the canteen!)

Smt Malavika Sundar - M Vijay - Guru Raghavendra at Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha. Appealing vocal recital.  

A very pleasant rendering of Carnatic vocal at the Mylapore Fine arts Club by Sri Sandeep Narayan -M Rajeev - Arjun Ganesh . 

No comments: