Wednesday, September 3, 2008

all of us have to live

I had a mild discomfort somewhere around the throat for a few days as if some very small food particle is stuck there. In fact I could not exactly point out the spot. After three days I went to the doctor. The doctor checked my blood pressure, pulled out my tongue to check the throat, pushed in my stomach to check the internals, turned me this way, that way trying to listen to the chest and ultimately said that it could be a mild form of throat infection. He wrote out a prescription, asked me to consume the medicines for four days and report back. I enquired if that could happen due to acidity? He said that it was possible too and wrote out some more tablets. He asked me to consume all.

I purchased a part of the prescribed medicines. I wanted to check if they work and then buy the lot. I planned to begin the next morning.

The next morning the discomfort was much less. I thought that I would wait another day. Then another and another. After four days I was fine with out swallowing even one tablet. It is a month now and the packet of tablets is lying somewhere in a corner of the shelf.

Reminds me of a kannanda joke by sri beechi. Its rough translation goes like this,

Had some disturbance in the stomach. Went and consulted the doctor and paid his fee. The doctor has to live.
Went to the pharmacy and bought the medicines. The pharmacist has to live.

On the way home, threw the packet of tablets in the garbage- I have to live too.

1 comment:

Anil Jagalur said...

It is good that you have told this story. Others should live too!!!!