Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reacting to some news.

Many news items that I read in the morning papers bug me. I try to mention about them to people who are around me like my wife, son or my assistant in the clinic. All of them have many other things to bother about and their response is usually lukewarm. And the topics that I broach do not affect them (or even me for that matter) directly. My wife says “That’s how the world is and your opinions or views are not going to make any difference. Put it in your blog if you feel like.” I think that is all that is going to come out of it.

During this week two things caught my attention. One is a directive by the supreme court to the central government to consider the feasibility of starting a three years ‘mini MBBS’ course in rural areas to train half doctors who hopefully practice in rural areas and treat simple ailments. This is during the course of hearing of a public interest petition about qualified doctors not practicing in rural areas.

What makes them think that these semi doctors are going to remain in rural areas? Is it possible to restrict them to treat specified simple ailments only? Who will keep a check? As it is, the government or the medical council have not been able to do anything about the unqualified ‘quacks’ practicing freely or the graduates of ayurveda and homoeopathy practicing allopathy after substandard training.

Every medical student is made to sign a bond that he/she is going to work in rural areas for two years after graduation if required. Why can’t that be enforced?

The government has no machinery to control any of this.

A three year LMP (licenced medical practitioner?) course did exist decades back and many popular doctors were LMPs. This course was considered unsuitable and was stopped after medical colleges offering MBBS degree came up. Now we are going back to LMP once again. Looks foolish to me.

The second item that caught my fancy was in today’s paper. This is regarding the high court ruling that the chief justice of India’s office comes under the purview of RTI act and the CJI has to disclose his assets. Apparently the supreme court is miffed about the order and is now likely to appeal before itself to sort out the matter. I do not know the intricacies of legal system but my immediate response is B*** S***.
What justice!

Incidentally the letter that I wrote to the news paper which I posted on this blog (criticizing the two wheeler rally by the congress party – ‘letter to editor’ 29th dec) did come out in print. It made me a green activist and upgraded my status.

I had been to the bank today. During January I usually get a calendar from the bank. A plain one showing only the dates (what really matters) in keeping with my banking status. I am not entitled for the ‘deluxe’ calendar. This year the ‘deluxe’ calendar that the bank had brought out had “go green” as its theme. The manager called me in to his cabin and handed me the ‘deluxe’ model saying “please accept this sir. This is YOUR subject”! I believe he saw my letter in the paper. It did serve some purpose. It upgraded my calendar entitlement!

No comments: