Sunday, January 10, 2010

Money Matters

Most of my patients are very keen and very serious about putting their teeth in order and are prepared to make as many visits to my clinic as necessary and spare no expense to achieve the objective - till they make an appointment and leave my clinic.

While fixing an appointment I try to explain the inconvenience caused to me and other patients because of missed appointments/delayed appearances and request them to inform me if they are unable to keep up the appointment. People do appreciate my views but follow their ways.

Once out of the clinic, the enthusiasm dies down, doubts appear, better uses are found for the money, appointment is forgotten and I am left to use the appointed time for deep breathing and meditation to keep my irritation under control.

“You have eight cavities out of which three are quite bad. The one which is causing pain may need a root canal. If they are not treated they will deteriorate further and may have to be extracted. “
“But right now I am fine doctor. I do get some pain once in a way but it goes away on its own. I don’t even take a pain killer.”
“That is typical of a tooth ache. One day the pain will start and not go away. It will only get worse, you will wait till eleven thirty in the night and then wake me up.”
“No doctor, I will not allow it to get that bad. I intend getting all my teeth treated. I want you to do whatever is necessary. I don’t mind the cost. I will come whenever you call. Please give me an appointment.”
“Please think it over. I have explained everything to you. It will take more than a dozen visits and cost a few thousands. You may call me and take an appointment later, if you really decide to start the treatment.”
“It has to be done one day or the other is it not? It is already delayed and I do not want to delay further. I have decided doctor. Earlier the better. Tell me when I should come. Let’s start at the earliest.”
“Well, this Friday then. 15th, 6 PM. Please make a note.”
“Sure. I will be here. Ten minutes early.”
“In case you are unable to keep up the appointment please let me know in advance.”
“No, no chance of missing it. Still, if I can’t make it I will let you know at least two days before.”
“OK. Now, please pay me Three hundred rupees. This will be a deposit and it will be adjusted against my fees. You may take back this deposit if you decide not to go ahead with the treatment. Just call me and let me know. But, if you miss the appointment and do not inform me in advance, you will lose this deposit. Please remember.”
“You mean I should pay now?”
“Yes of course. This amount will be deducted from my fee any way.”
“But doctor, what if I happen to forget? I mean, I surely want the treatment to be done but, is it Ok if I come tomorrow or the day after and fix the appointment?”

Nothing like cash for commitment. My new tactic is a great help in separating the frivolous from the serious.

1 comment:

DesertRose said...

Wow you are brave if u r using the money card to make your patients keep their appointments :) But with Indian time sense ( or the lack of it ), this is a great stategy to induce some respect for it.