Wednesday, July 30, 2008






I better stop my association with the bulbul.

When it did not turn up on the balcony this morning I looked around and found it in front of the window glass, preening itself and appreciating its own image. Has it started developing human qualities? Shortly afterwards I saw the reason for its preening. It had a companion! Once in company, both of them lost their minds –human quality- and flew into the room instead of the kitchen. After searching for their food which was not present there, they decided to get out, but by then the male had lost its way, allowing himself to be ridiculed by the female- human quality? After frantically trying to get out through windowpanes, bars, loft and ceiling –ignoring the open door and two large open windows, they got dejected and sat on the windowsill allowing me to photograph them. By then it occurred to me that in the absence of human proximity, may be they would regain their birdie qualities and so I withdrew myself from their presence closing the door behind me. When I re entered the room after half an hour they were not to be seen. I am sure that they are happy to be out there somewhere.

As I came into the hall trying to confirm that the pictures I clicked are really in my camera, I found to my surprise, a rare visitor - the coppersmith - alight on to the balcony grills only for a few seconds before taking off again, not giving me an opportunity to record its presence in spite of the camera being in my hand. Very much like the VVIPs who alight at our Dabolim airport under tight security and take off in a helicopter immediately. No opportunities for any photos or interviews.
It was then that, the crow, sitting on the balcony across and cawing raucously caught my attention. Just like the local politician who blah, blah, blahs out statements and poses for photographs out side the airport after the departure of the VVIP. The media people capture him so that they have something to put on their channels or print on the front pages. Also, who knows when they need him? I took the picture of the crow so that I have one more photograph for my blog. And I did not want to antagonize him. I may need his services someday.

1 comment:

A. Knight said...

looks like someone let the birds in on the news.... its page 3 stuff if your on a Mysore balcony!!! :)) beautiful pics....the one with the birdie lookin at himself is a classic... was that the male bird by the way?? :p