Wednesday, January 14, 2009

make the children happy

Last month we had a family get together. It is an occasion all of us look forward to, but we never plan one. It happens on it’s own once every year or two and all of us have a good time.
Goa is not new to any of my family members. And Ponda is not a “happening” place. We had planned to stay at home, chitchat, eat and in general live without any agenda. By the second evening we felt we need a bit of airing and decided to go over to Panaji which is a distance of 30 kms from Ponda. I arranged two vehicles. One was filled with the elders and the second was occupied by all the children. We reached Panaji and went to the river front. There is a nice wooden jetty, a small park and benches facing the river Mandovi. We spent an hour and then the children wanted to visit a popular cake shop. They ate all sorts of things I dare not look at, even. We roamed along the main street for sometime. I noticed that all the children were very quiet. I wanted to put some life into the group. I asked the girls if they intend buying some trinkets? They were not very keen. I asked my football crazy nephew if he wants a jersey? “I have many” was the answer. I knew all of them like pizza. So I suggested a visit to Domino’s pizza. “Not hungry” was the response.
By then my wife called me aside and said that we better turn back as she had to cook. She said that there is enough at home to feed half of the party. The elder's group preferred to return and eat whatever was at home. I wanted the children to stay back, eat at a hotel and return so that cooking is avoided. I began with the words “Ok, all of us elders will return to Ponda. You children stay back on your own for some more time…….” There was no chance for me to continue. There was a united shout “hurraah… that’s it”. All the faces were radiant and every one was brimming with enthusiasm.
I learnt what makes the children happy.

2 comments:

Brinda said...

This was the reaction of my cousin when his mother announced that she would be going to Mysore for a p 3-4 days stay: `howda
ammaaaaaaaaaaa....? hagadre navu enjoy maDabahudu`!

We parents have a wrong notion that our children need us ;)

Sushma U N said...

:D :D :D