Monday, February 2, 2009

Praanaayaama for toothache?

In the course of my work and since many people feel that I have some knowledge of medicine, I find quite a few of my patients, friends, relatives, and even casual acquaintances discussing about their ailments and treatments (other than dental) with me. I have known a number of them who, having lost their faith in the allopathic system of medicine, have tried alternate systems like the well known ayurveda- homoeopathy, or the present ‘yogic’ hits like sudarshankriya-kapalbhati etc. The more gullible amongst them reach up to the relatively lesser known methods like pranik healing, oilpulling, juice therapy, wheatgrass therapy, magneto therapy and whatnots. The ailments that they try to get rid off range from the ubiquitous diabetes-bloodpressure-asthama to arthritis, gastritis, sinusitis, spondylitis and hairfall to name a few. I have seen them embrace the chosen alternate system with a lot of hope and enthusiasm and follow the procedures religiously. I have expressed my wonder and delight while they have described the miracle of the system and have observed their euphoria on getting ‘cured’.
During my subsequent interactions, I have sensed a hint of skepticism creeping in - following the reappearance of the ailment, noticed the lack of enthusiasm in getting along with the healing system and have witnessed the disappointment and abandoning of the process in due course.

Earlier, we were heavily dependent up on the allopathic system to get frustrated with. Now we have a choice of other systems to get frustrated with. Human body is a very complex thing which no one has been able to understand completely. Add a mind to that and it gets ten times more difficult. As far as I am concerned I depend on a system which has been able to analys the structure and functioning of the body and the effects of the drugs to the maximum extent. AND I also practice kapaalabhaati!

My feeling is that SOME of these treatment methods MAY BE of SOME BENEFIT for CERTAIN TYPES of ailments IF practiced AS THEY SHOULD BE over a CONSIDERABLE time. I have neither the qualification nor experience to dwell up on these systems in detail and give a judgement, and so, I just watch these things with amusement. I am happy that my field is comparatively immune to the onslaught of these alternate systems. Till date I have not come across any of my patients trying out ayurveda, oilpulling or aromatherapy to get rid of a toothache, OR magnetotherapy to make a shaking tooth firm. But the home remedies like application of salt or clove to the tooth and packing the cavities with toothpaste or amritanjan abound. After bearing with the toothache and finishing all the remedies suggested by colleagues, friends, neighbours and co passengers, my patients end up with root canal treatment or extractions and have helped me survive.

Recently one of my senior colleagues experienced severe pain when he rinsed his mouth one morning and was flabbergasted and distressed to find a “very deep and probably pulp involved cavity in the right lower six” as he put it over the phone. ( a badly decayed lower grinder). He wanted me to attend to it immediately but it was a holiday for my clinic. He told me that the holiday is only for the clinic and not for the dentist and ordered me to go over to HIS clinic and attend to his cavity. It was difficult for me to work in a different set up and with out the equipment which I am used to, but I managed. He called me after three days to say that there is no improvement and so I requested him to come over to my clinic. I X- rayed the tooth and found that there was a bit of gap between the filling and the cavity wall. I told him that I would re do it, and since I was working with my equipment and with the aid of the x-ray and magnification, managed to do an effective filling. I took considerable time and care as I had to answer to his queries like,
“ have you removed ALL the carious dentine?”
“can you see the borders of the cavity clearly?”
“is the pulp clinically open?”
“have you covered the pulp completely with calcium hydroxide?” etc etc.
I did not hear anything from him for more than a week. So, I called him yesterday to enquire whether my treatment has been useful.
“Oh, Raghu, nice of you to have called. I am absolutely comfortable. There is no pain or sensitivity what so ever. I think it is going to be OK. It was good that I started doing praanaayama the same day. I am sure it has helped. Thanks anyway.”
My assiduous work of nearly an hour was kicked aside. Praanaayaama was the winner.
I had never thought that one of my own tribe would set fire to our profession.

1 comment:

AnnuAnusha said...

Dr Parthasarthi has 18 years of rich experience in the field of Dermatology, Cosmetology and Trichology.
Best Hair Transplant in Bangalore