Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Burst of green

It is now a month after the first rains. The monsoon, which showed it’s face and disappeared for about twenty days, reappeared last week and has begun it’s job in right earnest. It is almost raining non stop. The cement side walk leading to my clinic has turned slippery due to the growth of algae. I slipped and almost broke my back this morning. It is time for the monsoon to take a break and allow me to go out and scrub the side walk and trim the overgrown branches of the rose bushes. My patients have to watch their feet so that they do not slip and at the same time have to look out for the rose branches extending on to the sidewalk trying to rip their faces off.
I water these plants every day, dig around them, pour manure, pamper them and they grudgingly grow a few inches. Once it starts raining, they wake up suddenly and make up for all the inactivity through the year. I see hectic activity everywhere. Even though most of our surroundings have turned into a ‘concrete jungle,’ there is still some greenery left. We call it green but ‘brownary’ is more appropriate. The rain has washed them clean and has doubled the quantity of green. The green growth has covered all the trash that we have dumped in the neighbour’s plot.(in the true tradition of any civil society) The creepers spread on to the trees and cover them completely obliterating their shape and turning them to heaps of green. Electric poles and cables have a festoon of green leaves. Even the laterite brick on the compound walls is sprouting green adding to the effect. I enjoy all these sights walking in the rain early morning while the world is still asleep.
I managed to get some pictures without drenching the camera. With Shruti’s guidance, I have tried to insert the pictures where I want them. If you are seeing this post with pictures at appropriate places, Shruti is a good teacher and I have passed.

1 comment:

Shruthi said...

Good job! :)

And great pics - I specially liked the second one.