Thursday, November 15, 2018

Day 2 - Banavasi - Chikkamagalur

I got up early in the morning and found that the dogs had made themselves comfortable on the sofas kept in the corridor. Had no intention of disturbing them. Since it was still dark outside, I just wanted to  do some yoga exercises. But they got up, probably cursed me, went out for a short stroll and since I wasn't objecting, returned to their places on the sofa and continued with their beauty sleep. 

The first hint of day light in the east - Hongirana home stay. 

And then, the sun comes up behind the shrubbery. 

Once it was light enough to see, I went for my walk. Cool, quiet and very peaceful. 

The imposing Nandi at the entrance of the temple in Banavasi. I was very keen to see Banavaasi. I am sure it must have been a very beautiful place. The ancient poet Pampa was so much enchanted by it's beauty, he said  "If one can't be born in Banavasi  as a human, one should be born atleast as a bee or a bird". Though the town as such has nothing much to offer now, the surroundings are still beautiful with numerous lakes, hillocks and greenery. 
Lord Madhukeshwara


Madhukeshwara temple built by Kadambas. The architecture is very similar to the temple at Tambdi Surla in Goa which was also built by the Kadambas. 

Decorative items for sale on the streets of Banavasi - used for decorating the cattle for the cattle fair. 


A posh home stay in a coffee estate on the way to Chikkamagalur. We just took a look around. 

Flowering plant in the estate.

'Halli Berri' a coffee outlet in the estate. One of the best coffees I have ever tasted. 

One for the album, with my wife.

Hilly areas around Chikkamagalur. 

Nice combination - Green fields, Blue lake and dark green hill side. 

Wild flowers by the roadside. 


No comments: