Sunday, July 21, 2019

A Tribute To My Plant Loving Friends.



This morning when I went to my backyard, I saw this new plant (The one with a red mark around it). It is called 'Dodda patre' in kannada. I understand that the English name is 'Mexican Mint'. It is the latest addition to the plants which our domestic help Shabana has planted in our compound. The others which she had/has planted are Papaya, Lemon, Chillies, Pineapple, Maize, Aloe vera, and few leafy vegetables like Methi, Dhaniya etc etc.





Shabana is an inveterate planter. In the little bit of space available around our house, she plants any sapling that she can lay her hands upon. She plants them, waters them and leaves the rest to god almighty. Some survive and some do not. She is happy if they come up. If they wither away, for whatever reason, she will plant something else in the place. She never informs us what she has planted, never expects any returns from her plants, never expresses happiness or sorrow about them thriving/ dying!
As far as plants are concerned, she is a 'Karmayogi'!
Similarly there are many other plants around our house, which have been planted by people who were associated with us as helpers, either in my clinic or in the house.
Vasanti, Rajashree, Savita and Ajja are some of the names which come to my mind. All the plants, the pictures of which you see posted here are planted by these people. Their names are there on the pictures.
I wonder why they do it? The space does not belong to them. They are not paid for the job. They are not sure if they would be around to enjoy the fruits of their labour. They have nothing to gain from the activity. But they do it - just for the pleasure of bringing up a plant !
I consider them real lovers of plants/nature. They found a place where a plant could grow, they found a plant and they planted it. Just so that a plant comes up and thrives. Absolutely selfless service to nature!
We, ie my social group POP, did some service too. We planted about eighty plants around the walking track in our sports grounds. Not just planted them, watered and manured them over the last three years. Now they have grown tall and are trees ! Sixty five of them ! It is a very satisfying work. One of the pictures here, show me tying a number on one of them some six months after planting, nearly three years ago.

Incidentally this year we planted new saplings in places where our plants did not survive. What we have done is for the benefit of the society of which we are a part. We got credit for the work and some pats on the back. And it is a pleasure to walk on the track next to the trees and we are free to enjoy it like all others. I can’t call our work entirely selfless.
But no one noticed the work of those I have named above. They did not get any credit for their efforts. I just accepted their work as a matter of fact and did not even utter a word of appreciation. A lapse on my part.
I feel that these are the really selfless, well meaning lot. This post is to acknowledge their efforts. My tribute to all of them and their selfless act.