Friday, February 28, 2020

I Don't Know

My daughtet in law went out on an errand this morning.  She was stopped by
traffic police on the way. 

Police : Madamme, where is your helmet ?

DIL : I don’t know.  ( She had no idea if she left it in our house, clinic
or in the flat) 

Police : OK. whose scooter is this ? 

DIL : I don’t know.  ( She had no idea if the scooter was registered in my
name or Ashwin) 

Police : OK Where are you going ? 

DIL : I don’t know.  ( She had no idea about the name of the office or the
area it was located. Ashwin gave the location on google and she was
heading towards the pin.)

Police : OK where did you come from ?

DIL : I don’t know. (The place where I stay is recognised by different
names by different agencies. Panchayat calls it  ‘Curti’ , the name of the
village. The electricity dept calls it ‘Mestawada’, the place where our
feeder transformer is located. The gas people call it ‘J C Nagar’, our
house is on their JC Nagar route. Aishwarya doesn’t know any of these.)

The police officer did not know what to do. He had to deal with a terribly
frightened, (Getting caught by traffic police is one of her nightmares)
sweating and helpless looking lady who did not know anything ! 

By then his sight fell on a large envelope which was in the glove
compartment. 

Police : (pointing to the envelope) What is that ? 

DIL : Parcel .

Police : (Thanking his stars and offering a silent prayer for being able to
elicit an andwer)  Where are you taking it ? 

DIL : To the courier office.

Police : Let me see. (Taking a look at the to and from address) Who is
Ashwin Mysore ? 

DIL : My husband. 

Police : (Pointing to the ‘from’ address) Is this your address ? 

DIL : Yes. 

Police, now fully relieved, noted her name, our address and issued
a challan for Rs 100. 

I got a message on my mobile immediately  but had to wait till she
returned for the whole story. 

It was worth the wait !  



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Police have their own funda who to stop, we common people don't understand.