Monday, September 8, 2008

Saree - network

On our way back from Badarinath, we stayed at Delhi for four days. Needless to say, one full day followed by parts of all the remaining days were meant for shopping. A group of ladies went shopping and Sarees, churidars, skirts, tops, pants, shirts and half pants were purchased for daughters, daughter- in-laws, sisters, sister-in-laws, grand children and so on and so forth.
My wife purchased a saree for her sister who had returned to Detroit few months back and whose next visit to India was not before another three years. I thought it was foolish to buy a saree and keep it for three years before presenting it to whoever it was meant for.
Better sense prevailed and I did not let the thought out.
That evening the saree travelled to Bangalore with my in-laws who left Delhi, two days before we did. Morning of day three the saree was in Bangalore. The same evening it was couriered through my brother-in-law to the house of my sister-in law’s friend’s (Chicago) neighbour who was visiting Bangalore. Early morning of day four it was on it’s way to Chicago. Day five, it was in Chicago. Sis-in-law’s friend’s safe custody. Day six it travelled to Detroit by road. Courtesy- a mutual acquaintance.
We left Delhi as planned and arrived in Goa six hours late. As I sat for breakfast the next morning, there was a call from Detroit. The saree was appreciated and the exchanges regarding the merits and demerits of design, colour combination, borders and pallu, began- forcing me to restrict my breakfast to bread and coffee if I did not intend postponing it for another two hours.

2 comments:

A. Knight said...

:) its a SMALL world indeed!

Brinda said...

:) :) :) :) :) :)................