Saturday, July 1, 2023

‘Beating hearts’ in the ‘Concrete jungle’



Bengaluru, no doubt is a concrete jungle and it seems that every

inhabitant is in constant competition with others for everything.

Individuals appear to be self centered, impatient, arrogant and

indifferent towards another. But during my roaming in the jungle

there are instances when I find that there are many good hearts

beating over there, and they do care for others. 


It is seen in the small gestures like a teenager offering me a seat in the

metro, some lady flicking a bee - attracted by the flowers - off another

unknown lady’s hair in the market, someone offering a hand to a disabled

man on the escalator, so on and so forth. For me, it is a reassuring sign

which confirms that humanity still persists !


So, I keep my eyes and ears open. I invariably catch a scene or a small bit

of a conversation which touches me and I narrate it to whoever is ready

to listen. 


I was on a city bus yesterday. The bus was full and I could only get a standing

space. When the bus was about to leave, a lady entered with an old man.

I mean a man older than me. He was almost tottering and hence she

requested an occupant of a seat next to the door, to vacate the seat and

allow the old man to sit. The fellow did not respond.  Then the conductor,

who was standing nearby, asked the fellow


“ತಮ್ಮಾ, ಅಜ್ಜಾವ್ರಿಗೆ ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಸೀಟು ಕೊಡಪ್ಪಾ”  (Brother, please vacate your seat for

the old man)  

The man said “ಆಗಲ್ಲರೀ, ನಾನು ದೂರ ಹೋಗ್ಬೇಕು” (I can’t, I have a long

way to go). 


The conductor’s spontaneous sermon was worth listening for its language,

content and delivery !


“ಏನಪ್ಪಾ, ದೊಡ್ಡೋರಿಗೆ ಒಂದು ಸೀಟ್ ಬಿಟ್ಕೊಡೋಕ್ಕಾಗಲ್ವಾ ನಿಂಗೆ ? ಅವರೇನು ದುಡ್ದು ಕೇಳಿದ್ರಾ,

ಕಾಸು ಕೇಳಿದ್ರಾ ? ಏನೋ ಪಾಪ, ವಯಸ್ಸಾದೋರಿಗೆ ಸೀಟ್ ಕೊಡು ಅಂದ್ರು. ಬಿಡಲ್ಲಾ ಅಂತೀಯಲ್ಲಾ ?

ಏನು ಒತ್ಕೊಂಡ್ ಓಗ್ತೀಯಾ ನಿನ್ ಸೀಟ್ನ ? ದೂರ ಹೋಗ್ತಾನಂತೆ. ಎಲ್ಲೀಗಯ್ಯ ಹೋಗ್ತೀಯ ದೂರ ?

ಪಾಕಿಸ್ತಾನಕ್ಕಾ, ಚೀನಾಕ್ಕಾ ? ಈ ಬಸ್ಸು ಓಗೋದು ಕೆಂಗೇರಿ ತನಕ ಅಷ್ಟೇ. ಏನೋ ಇಷ್ಟು ಪಾಠ ಓದಿ

ಪರ್ಸೆಂಟೇಜ್ ತೊಗೊಂಡ್ರೆ ಆಗೋಯ್ತಾ ? ಮುಖ್ಯ, ಮಾನ ಮರ್ಯಾದೆ ಕಲೀಬೇಕು. ದೊಡ್ಡೋರು

ಅಂದ್ರೆ ಗೌರವ ಇರ್ಬೇಕು. ತಿಳ್ಕೊ.”  

(what I say, can’t you offer your seat to an elderly gentleman? Are they

asking you to give them your money? Only a seat for the old man and you

refuse.  Are you going to carry your seat with you ? Going far I believe!,

how far are you going? pakistan? China ? This bus is only going till Kengeri.

Remember that. It is not enough if you just read some lessons and get

some percentage of marks. One should learn manners, and respect

towards the elderly” -)  The speech should actually have been heard in

original,in Kannada. This narration/translation doesn’t do complete justice

but gives an idea about the sentiment expressed.   


By then another gentleman vacated the seat for the old man, and the

issue was settled. It was nearing my destination and I got down thinking

about and praising the conductor’s reaction in my mind. It felt nice to

know that there are people who care about these things. 

Have a nice holiday !




 

No comments: