Saturday, June 24, 2023

A ‘feel good’ incident



It was a simple gesture, not anything great, which seemed very natural

on part of that old lady. 


I have no idea who she is. When I returned from my walk one morning,

two months back, she was picking the Parijata flowers in our front yard.

I objected to her coming inside without seeking permission. She apologised

and left.


The next morning she was standing outside the gate and when she saw me

return from my walk, she asked for my permission to come in and pick the

flowers. I told her that she may come in and take the flowers but close and

latch the gate when she leaves. Since then she has been coming everyday

to take the flowers. 


Today our maid was not well and did not report for work.  I was sweeping

the front yard when the old lady came to take the flowers. She saw me and

said “ಬಿಡಪ್ಪಾ, ನಾನು ಗುಡುಸಿ ಕೊಡ್ತೀನಿ” (leave it, i will sweep for you) stretching her

hand to take the broom from me.    


There was no need for her to do that. Maybe she felt that collecting the

flowers everyday was an obligation and wanted to do something in return.

Whatever, it felt nice and I was touched by the gesture and so, I shared

it with all of you. 

No comments: