Tuesday, March 17, 2009

not found at given address

My brother was here to attend a meeting at the Goa University. He is a scientist and though a bit absent minded so as to qualify for his post, very methodical and always punctual. As soon as he arrived from Pune and reached my house, he called the co-ordinator who was to arrange conveyance to the university. The co-ordinator said that he would send a taxi and wanted to know the location of my house. My brother began saying “I am with my brother. His name is Dr. Raghunandan and the house is behind Honda Activa showroom near……”
He was cut in the middle, “Oh, Honda, I know, I know Honda showroom, the taxi will reach there in ten minutes.”
The co-ordinator called the taxi driver and began saying “This gentleman whom you are supposed to pick up, is Dr.********. He is staying with his brother Dr. Raghunandan at ..…”
The taxi driver cut him off “Oh, Dr. Raghunandan, I know, I know. I will be there in five minutes”.

The place where I presently reside is my fifth in Ponda. (No, I did not shift residences to create confusion amongst the general public. It was done for valid reasons) The taxi driver knew the third, and went to Silva nagar. House is very much there but no Raghunandan. He called the co ordinator “Sir, they say that Dr. Raghunandan is not staying in this house at Silva Nagar , Where is he?”
Co-ordinator : “You fool, you did not hear me completely. His house is behind Honda show room. Hero Honda showroom understand?”
The taxi driver reached behind Hero Honda show room and found a pond of dirty water containing four pigs and two buffaloes enjoying the cool waters, blissfully unaware of the hunt for the elusive Raghunandan.
Taxi driver to co ordinator : “Sir I am behind Hero Honda show room but no Raghunandan here either”
Co ordinator : “These scientists are very absent minded. They don’t even remember proper address, you wait. I will find out”
Co-ordinator to my brother: “Sir, the driver says there is no Raghunandan behind Hero- Honda….”
My brother: (already late for his meeting but still keeping his calm as only he can do) “The trouble with you people is that you have no patience to hear what is being said, completely. All my students are also like that. I said Honda Activa showroom. It is near Jaycee Nagar. Not Hero Honda. I have been waiting for half an hour and I am already late……” cut off again.

An indignant taxi driver brought the taxi to my door, accusing me of troubling everyone by not being present where I was expected to be, and shifting residences with out informing all the taxi drivers in Ponda.

My wife always has a grouse against me saying that I am never present where I am required. If she wants me for some minor help in the kitchen, I am washing the car. When I am required to drop her to the market, I am attending a patient. When a patient is knocking on the clinic door, I am in front of the computer typing some nonsense, so on and so forth. She heard half of what the taxi driver said and whole heartedly concurred with him, saying “Say that again. He is always like that. Never found where he is expected to be.”

7 comments:

Brinda said...

:) :) :)

Ravi said...

The taxi driver should brush up on his quantum mechanics. has he never heard of the uncertainty principle and Planck's constant? The world's most interesting people seem to beat a path to your doorstep, Raghu. riveting read.

Brinda said...

I fully agree with the last two sentences of your comments, Ravi ! :)

Akshay said...

if he had learnt hiesenbergs uncertainity principle, he wouldnt be a taxi driver would he??? half the people in my college dont know that... not including me. :)

Kaustubh said...

though i faintly remember that..u cannot predict the velocity(?) and position of an electron in orbital....is it applicable to you Dr.Raghu??

Well..I am Kaustubh, Akshay's friend, and loved reading ur blog.

Akshay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Akshay said...

its for microscopic particles... in the large picture, dr. raghunandan is just a small particle...