Monday, August 9, 2010

Priority In Urgency

I was to continue with the Niagara when this “urgent matter” came up.

Sri Shanbhag entered the clinic around 8 PM as usual, the closing time. “I am extremely sorry I am late doctor. But you see this job is like that. And without this job, I can’t pay your fees.” A logic which I just could not reject.

“I want you to do something about this lower grinder. The cavity has been there for a long time but a part of the tooth broke yesterday and has left a sharp margin. It hurts my tongue. I can’t talk or eat. It is urgent”
I agreed.

“Equally important is this upper tooth. It gives me pain every now and then. I have lot of engagements in the office for the next fifteen days. I can’t afford to remain absent. If it gets worse I will be in big trouble. You have to do something for it.”
I had to say that I will see that too.

“And these front teeth, you see I am wearing a denture. It has developed a crack. We have a delegation coming from South Africa next week. I have to make a presentation. I cannot think what would happen if this breaks. Please do something about it.”

Everything was urgent but it was impossible to attend to all of them on the spot. So I said,
“See Mr. Shanbhag, I understand the situation. But I can’t do everything at once. Tell me what is most urgent”

“To tell you the truth doctor, what is most urgent right now is that I have to use your toilet.”

He ran.