Sunday, April 18, 2021

Birds At Borim

We ignored the mid morning summer sun and spent an hour and a half around the

marshy backwaters of the river Zuari, near Borim - Goa today. I have been seeing

thousands of these water birds there on my way to Margao and back during the

past weeks but haven't been able to get down and get closer. We went there with

the intention of taking a proper look today. We had to trespass through some

private property for a closer look and we did that assuming that the owners

did not mind.  The fact that they wern't around helped !

It was a happy one hour in spite of the heat and we were

glad to find more than a dozen species of birds.  


There were Small egrets, Greater egrets, Small cormorants,

Greater cormorants, Black headed ibis, Black ibis, Sand piper, Paddy birds,

Purple heron, Grey Heron, Moor hen, White necked storks,

Black winged stilts, Whistling teal, Greenshank, Small kingfishers,

Brahmini Kite and Painted storks.

 

In my eagerness to go closer I got my foot stuck in the black swampy

clay but managed to extricate myself and obtained a few pictures. 

Don’t look for clarity and detail.  We (me and my son akshay)

have managed to the best of our abilities

and the abilities of our cameras.

Egrets and Cormorants 

Flock Of Egrets

Egrets in flight

Black Ibis

Black headed Ibis

Black Winged Stilt (picture by Akshay)

Greenshank (picture By Akshay)

A lucky individual's house next to the waters !

Marsh sandpiper (Picture by Akshay)

Me. Just before getting my feet stuck in the marshy clay !

Paddy birds

Purple Heron (Picure by Akshay)

A flock of white necked storks

A Greater Egret receives guard of Honour by a flock of Whistling Teals !

A wild flower growing on the banks